Monday, October 6, 2008

Lille, Bethune, Calais, Arras and Boulogne














Finally I got to travel to the north of France and Stefan met me at the Bethune train station. He is such a nice guy and so helpful. He took me to his house in a town ajoining Bethune and we had a surprise reunion for Virginie, Gildas and Virginie who I hadnt seen since Melbourne some time ago. It was so great to see them again and Stefan is such a good cook, we had the most delicious dinner.











Finally I got to travel to the north of France and Stefan met me at the Bethune train station. He is such a nice guy and so helpful. He took me to his house in a town ajoining Bethune and we had a surprise reunion for Virginie, Gildas and Virginie who I hadnt seen since Melbourne some time ago. It was so great to see them again and Stefan is such a good cook, we had the most delicious dinner.

The following day Stefan took me to Calais which is a coastal port and we went to Sangatte which is a beach where Gildas does his windsurfing. It was so so gusty and very cold. Then he showed me around Calais and later on him and Virginie took me out for lunch. They then showed me around Lille. What an amazing city with such old buildings and friendly people. I know that I loved Rennes and I think Lille is equal to it as far as beauty goes.

Later on we called in and saw Gildas at his fire station and I got to meet all of the firefighters. I sat in the truck and chatted with all the guys who were all so friendly. Gildas is such a nice guy and Stefan and Virginie were so great to me in showing me around everywhere.

The following day Gildas picked me up after having a sleepin and he took me to Arras which is also a scenic city. We had the best kebabs on earth and even though it was freezing cold I enjoyed seeing the town. Then we drove to Boulogne where I Gildas and Virginie live in a caravan. I stayed in an old farmhouse that belongs to Virginies parents. I love their old dog which looks 100 but is probably only 15. So gorgeous.
The rain and the bad weather has set in and I swear I am frozen solid. hahahaha

Virginie took me in to the school where she teaches and I gave somes english lesson to the students who are 16 and 17 year olds. I talked about Australia and also about my life there and I spoke about my travels within France. It was so cool and Virginie's supervising teacher was so lovely. A great experience all around, as the students were so attentive.

Ive just been amazed with how nice the french people have been towards me and I have really loved my time here. Its going to be sad for me next year when I return back to Australia.

No comments: